Yes… I know we have been living in 2016 for eleven days now but, for me, today is my January 1st!
I have been reflecting and it occurred to me that I took last year ‘off’. Allow me to explain…
I used to be an incredibly active and busy person, both physically and mentally. The OH used to say he was in awe of my energy, dedication and self discipline. I ate well, exercised, worked hard, walked daily and had projects to keep me busy – In short, I was rarely still.
But last year I stopped.
I gave up exercise and hardly moved beyond what was strictly necessary. I ate whatever crap I wanted, reintroducing unhealthy and nutritionally empty foods such as crisps and chips. I drank way too much wine and nowhere near enough water. I lost any sense of daily routine and wasted hours online, achieving very little.
No wonder I spent so much of last year in a slump emotionally… I was bored, I felt useless and therefore felt worthless, which in turn only served to make me feel that I didn’t deserve to take better care of myself. I was caught in a vicious cycle of self destruction.
This morning I left the house to buy bread. I returned with a new pair of trainers, a Shock Absorber sports bra, a set of work out gear and a supply of vitamins.
I am not sure what changed in my head, but something sure did! I felt that I was worth the investment my new purchases symbolised. I wanted to buy new work out gear that I will feel good in so that I will actually want to work out again.
I am going to make a list of things I must do daily or weekly; small things that will hopefully add up to boost my sense of self worth and result in me changing my cycle of self destruction into one of self care.
- Be up and dressed by 9am at the very latest every weekday.
- Always use a body lotion all over after showering. Take the time to massage the cream in and notice the changes in my skin.
- Move daily. Get out for 30 minutes minimum every day , unless I am ill.
- Exercise at least three times a week – dance workout, elliptical trainer, weights, calisthenics – doesn’t matter which, just do it!
- Eat well.
- Drink water.
- Take my vitamins every day.
- Praise myself once a day for something.
- Be creative – write, craft, garden, learn to knit.
- Learn to challenge and silence that inner critic that shouts so loudly in my head.
- Stop beating myself up.
- Give myself credit where it is due.
- Rediscover the pleasure and pride I used to take from keeping a clean tidy and welcoming home.
- Take more photographs – this could be part of my 30 minutes a day outdoor time.
- Treat myself to a once a week home spa hour – face mask, body scrub, mani/pedi.
- Read more – go to bed earlier and enjoy that stack of books beside the bed!
- Have some time every day with no TV/Internet.
- Take naps.
- Be kinder to myself. Ease up on the expectations.
That’s quite a list!
I truly hope I can find it within me to put these ideas into practice and, hopefully, this time next year I will be fitter, healthier, happier and at peace within myself.
Wish me luck?
Copyright, 2016, k1kat.com
All rights reserved.